Tools for large database server farms
There are a lot of tools than can help you manage a few instances of Oracle, MS SQL Server, Azure, Sybase, Postgres or MySQL. But when you have a couple of hundred instances, or maybe even a few thousand instances spread over multiple sites and possibly also in various clouds like Azure or AWS you run into a whole new set of issues and requirements that you must address.
In dbWatch we have been providing large service providers, hospital groups, military, retail and other large and demanding enterprises with database monitoring solutions for over ten years. Our dbWatch Enterprise Solution is fully capable of meeting the most demanding requirements for large scale operations and have a number of features for managing the large number of instances we encounter:
- Performance: Whether you monitor ten or a thousand instances you need the same fast response. Also, there is no performance degradation on the network or central repository. (Hint: we use a distributed repository and server architecture to minimise load and performance issues)
- Manage 1000's of instances with ease: dbWatch has dashboards that will always let you have instant overview over all your instances, regardless of the number or platform. You will always have full situational awareness.
- Built for large and complex environments: A distributed dbwatch server architecture lets you distribute load over multiple dbWatch servers, or put the dbWatch servers behind firewalls or in different sites. This will distribute load, reduce complexity with segmented and firewalled networks in a manner totally transparent from the monitoring station and DBAs.
- Global views: With really large estates you need views and tools that lets you have global overviews of all your instances. Then you can sort the lists to quickly see where the biggest loads, the most disk or memory usage, biggest lock or waits issues or any other parameter. You need - and get - the flexibility to analyse your entire estate in any way you need to get to the information you need.
- Group, sort, tag: When you are dealing with hundreds or thousands of instances you need to organize them in a flexible way. With dbWatch you can make arbitrary groups, like Development/Test/Operations, or Sales/Production/Finance, or location, or platform - the choice is yours. Further, you can tag any instance with your own properties and make arbitrary groups based on those. Whichever way you want it, with dbWatch you can organize your instances the way you want it. Flexible and powerful.
- Role-based access controls: If you have a large estate, perhaps in multiple locations and timezones, you want to control access. With dbWatch you can create role-based access and give different roles controlled access to different parts of your estate. A flexible and powerful access control scheme supporting Active Directory, Kerberos and certificates/encrypted conections makes this easy to set up and maintain.